I was given this list by one of my creative writing professors a while ago… I framed it and had it hanging on the wall at my parents house and forgot about it until last night.
Characteristics of Creative People
1. Self-Sufficient – basing their behavior upon their own concept of themselves (rather than being dependent on close supervision or guidance from others)
2. Independent – in making judgments. Willing to stand alone against the group for the sake of accuracy in their reporting.
3. Self-assertive and dominant, stable and self-accepting. More aware of, and open to their own impulses.
4. Progressive – and even radical. Also more courageous, adventurous, and otherwise more capable of taking greater risks in the hope of greater gain. (Usually not conservative types)
5. Complex – as persons. They may stir up group sanctions against themselves as a result of their own ideas – which may be sensed by others as a threat to the status quo.
6. Resourceful – will find a way to achieve ends. Often involed original solutions to problems.
7. Motivated – only by liking to think, toy with ideas, intellectual persistence and more and more involvement in their work (not others).
8. Complex – They need variety. They detest repetition. They prefer complexity and seem insatiable in their desire to organize things their own way.
9. Tolerant – They may be able to tolerate a great deal of ambiguity and can live a long time with unsolved problems.
10. Unconventional – Seek unconventional careers. Have knowledge that their ideas may not always be those of the majority.
11. Committed – Creative work demands an almost total mobilization of energy and experience. Involves long, absorbing work hours.
12. Absorbed – long involvement, sustained thought are characteristic.
13. Interest – they continually think and rethink their areas of interest.
14. Precocious – Creative persons have an early broad interest in intellectual things.
15. Daring – They like to toy with the unknown.