Social Media Spotlight: Brittany “Barefoot Foodie” Gibbons

We’re at week three of Social Media Spotlight and this week we’re talking to someone brands may not have heard of, but her 131,000 unique visitors last month should get her some attention. And the good folks at Shamable are about to do just that.

Brittany 'Barefoot Foodie' Gibbons

Brittany, we first met at last year’s Type A Mom Conference only after my incredulous, intelligent and social media hired gun wife Audrey Binkowski pointed out your hilarious blog, Barefoot Foodie to me. How long as your blog been around and what’s the back story on it?

The blog has been around for three years and like most lucrative opportunities afforded to English majors, I was an ex-wedding planner, stay at home mom (EWPSAHM if you like acronyms) who was definitely, probably going to finish her book one day. Maybe. And, I remember watching some news show about how authors are turning to blogs and online publishing to get their content out, so I decided to give it a go. I began as a food blogger, and it was a train wreck. I started throwing in honest pieces of myself, and it just took off. I haven’t looked back since. Still going to finish up that book though. Probably.

How has your blog evolved?

It started as an endeavor of writing what I thought people wanted to read, what I thought would be popular. It has morphed into a raw sounding board for my life. My stories. My thoughts. It’s taken on another pregnancy, my sex life, my marriage, motherhood, womanhood, each topic, while often irreverent, has become more honest with each post, as I learn to be more honest with myself. And, of course, it’s funny. It’s always funny.

What brands have you worked with?

Dyson, Hewlett Packard, Staples, Sexis Magazine, Austria Board of Tourism, Barefoot Wine.

Which brand campaign that you worked on was your favorite? Why?

Working with Hewlett Packard, and, specifically, Angela LoSasso, has been a wonderful experience. It’s really set a precedent on which I base my future brand interactions. Finding a company to see the value in what I do, and work along side of me, as opposed to demand from me, has not only been enjoyable, but in the end, more successful. For both of us.

What’s the dream client/brand you’d like to work with?

I am excited to form any partnerships with brands looking to think outside the box and see the value in my work and audience, but a dream client would be partnering up with a women’s magazine or television show. I feel like I have a really unique voice, and a knack for relating to women on a very honest level, that’s both refreshing and entertaining. (I can’t believe I just referred to myself as refreshing.)

Admittedly your blog’s content isn’t G rated. I’ve been a long believer that brands need to work with bloggers that provide compelling content, even if it pushes their creative boundaries. Anything to add here or just a smile and a wink?

Of course. It is admittedly harder for me to find a brand willing to look past a few questionable words to see my reach and scope of influence. But, what a disservice to the brand, because the edge and voice I bring to the table could really bring about an exciting and successful campaign that would play well with my fiercely loyal and ever growing readership. I know of other blogs, blogs that produce amazing content and have huge readerships, standing right where I am, wondering how much we would have to compromise to get some attention, and the answer should be none. Nobody does honesty and relatability like us. We’re patient folk, we’ll just keep waiting around until everyone else finally figures that out. *smile* *wink*

I hear you and know it’ll change. The notion that bloggers should be June Cleaver in order to get endorsements means there’s a disconnect from reality and as you mentioned, good content and loyal readers. Speaking of readers, which blogs do you read?

There is no way I am not going to forget something important here, but I love Shauna Glenn, The Spohrs are Multiplying, The Bloggess, Hyperbole and a Half, 1000 Tiny Things I Hate, and of course, Aiming Low.

Blogger conferences for brands to attend: Yay or nay?

This really depends on what your goal is. If you go into it wanting to mass market your brand, and hope that you’ve thrown enough darts around that, at the end of the day, you’ll hit a bullseye, then the larger conferences are the place to be. And, there isn’t anything wrong with that. More people, more eyes on your brand, but just based on the sheer volume of attendees, it would be very difficult to make anything more than various superficial connections. The smaller conferences are great if you want more one on one time with a smaller, more niched group of bloggers. So should brand attend? Yes. But, it’s my personal preference to connect with a brand on a level beyond what they hand me in a reusable grocery bag.

Thanks, Brittany!

Know a blogger you’d like to have featured on Shamable? Drop us a line at editor at shamable dot com!

0 thoughts on “Social Media Spotlight: Brittany “Barefoot Foodie” Gibbons

1. Melindat says:

I stumbled upon Brittany by accident a few weeks ago…I have now spent HOURS of my day reading her blogs past and present. I send certain blogs to friends when I think they may find the information useful (like tick removal) or hilarious (her husband trying to kill her with gardening tools)…I can't tell you the number of times I thought "mmmm…..burritos" while reading her blog…proof positive that branding works.

2. Blogfullyyours says:

As a blogger AND someone who works in advertising I'd have to say this interview is spot on! I am a big Brittany fan and I know there is so much the marketing community has to learn from unique voices like hers. PS – I'm passing this link on to my colleges.

3. Anne Younger says:

I <3 me some Barefoot Foodie!!If I was a brand I would be all over her!She is on my must read list.I always know if I am having a crappy day and need a pick me up I can pick a random post on her site and be laughing my butt off!My husband is addicted to her too!

4. Shauna says:

I think advertisers are idiots if they don't throw wads of hundred dollar bills at Brittany. Hell, I'd probably make her my bride for sure then. LOVE HER BLOG. LOVE HER.

5. shelly (cookies and cups says:

Great feature! I love the honest POV she offers…far more authentic that most of whats currently out there!

6. Carrie Meadows says:

Well said! Brittany's blog is great because of her authenticity. Brands are quick to incorporate risque messages into television marketing, but it seems like they shy away from blogs that post real content, because of language that MIGHT be construed as inappropriate. The fact of the matter is, just like with television and movies, people want you to give it to them straight- no candy-coating.

7. heather... says:

If I was a brand, I would much rather work with someone who is authentic – someone like Brittany. I am a loyal reader and I pay attention to her voice above everyone else's!

8. Andrea Chamberlain says:

I've wondered about this for awhile now – how do bloggers like Brittany who do not fit into the traditional "mommy blogger" niche, get recognized for their unique voices? If I don't use correct grammar all the time (I don't) and have potty fingers (I do) and drop the occasional "f" bomb on my blog (yep), have I just ruined any and all chances of working with a company who might otherwise have been a perfect fit? Possibly. But if the only way to establish such a relationship is to do so at the expense of my voice and writing style, things I've worked years to develop and which fit me like a well worn glove, then I think I'm happier flying solo. Because really, a world where I'm not free to be myself and start sentences with the word "because" and throw in an exclamation of "for shit's sake, what the hell?" every now and then, is not a place where I want to spend my time.

9. Justmakingourway says:

I liked hearing Brittany's thoughts on this subject. She is amazingly funny, and I love that she is totally honest. Hopefully, brands will realize that we want to hear more about someone whose life isn't perfect all the time. Lord knows mine isn't – and having some solidarity out there makes blogging all the more fun!

10. dbinkowski says:

We totally agree. And for those advertisers reading this, I won't disclose the actual numbers but the traffic to Shamable today via just mentioning her and a link from her site has been insane.

11. One Mom (Kristina) says:

I started reading Barefoot Foodie about a year ago (a little puzzled by the name since, um, it's not really about food, but I went with it) and it's become a favorite – probably within my top 5. Her writing *is* refreshing and honest and I would have to say it's pretty awesome.

12. Aunt Becky says:

I'm so proud to see a blogger who uses four letter words featured somewhere. I feel like so many of us with great content get sidelined because we're not cookie-cutter bloggers. Content is content and as Britney is evidence of, just because we swear sometimes, doesn't mean people don't read us. On the contrary, because we tell it like it is, people often like us MORE.*ahem*At least, that's allows me to sleep at night.

13. ashley says:

i.am.addicted. i seriously check the blog like 10 times a day while im at work to see if she posts anything new.totally makes work worth it!